Friday, January 15, 2010

Landing in Vancouver

The flight from Brisbane to Vancouver was ok.

I had a 6 hour exploration stop in Nadi, Fiji where I managed to have a good meal, make a new friend, do a little window shopping, see a famous Hindu temple and visit the beach.

My next stop before destination was LAX. You already know I LOVE LA but unfortunately on this stop over I was not very organised and the couple of hours noticed I managed to provide was not enough to have friends available and able to play for the short time I was there. I did however meet a very interesting man at the airport, and we had a very deep conversation about a range of topics, as you do.

Finally I made it to Vancouver, to crash at Stacey's house. Stacey is a friend I met in my travels a few years ago. We had a great time getting to know Budapest together and stayed in touch. So here I am now, staying with her in Vancouver just weeks before the Winter Olympics (which people seem very excited about but also very uncomfortable with - I have found out that there are MANY social issues that have come to head with the Olympics being held here including the land holders, the indigenous people of BC, who have no treaty with the Canadian government, not consenting to the Winter Olympics being hosted in BC because the Canadian government never even asked if it would be okay to host the games on indigenous land!).

Anyway, to the tourist in me Vancouver feels a lot like a Brisbane paced version of Sydney. People seem to be friendly and busy, and the buildings are modern with a heavy Victorian era influence.

I don't really want to explore Vancouver because because I am trying to avoid entering the travelling head space that can be so distracting from the learning space I need to be in.

Will see how it goes.
k

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home