Saturday, October 14, 2006

Friday 13th

I was doing a lot of nothing on Friday while listening to the entertaining antics of community radio (4zZz) when I felt compelled to call in and share a story in response to their "lame excuses" segment. The story went as follows:

When I was in grade 10 I had some matches and candles in my locker that my group was planning to use on a friend's birthday cake. I lit the candles in the locker room and found out at lunch time, when the grade coordinator came to speak to me, that someone had dobbed me in. The grade coordinator (a lady who tried to eliminate hugging at our private single-sex school because she insisted it promoted homosexuality), asked me why I had been seen lighting candles at my locker earlier that day. I told her it was part of my new religion, a response she took seriously. She asked me what religion it was, of what denomination and when I had joined. I told her I didn't know a lot about it. She advised me to see the school chaplain. I found out a couple of years later that this teacher had become immediately concerned about what I had said and kept an eye on me. I found out because a couple of years later she took my parents aside and told them that she was really worried about me because I had apparently, "lost weight, joined a cult and was suspected of doing drugs"! My parents knew me a lot better than that (thank their good senses) and started hysterically laughing at her claims. She repordedly then told my parents that they should be taking her seriously and that that this was a sign of irresponsible parenting. At that point my mum's roaring laughter reportedly caused her to fall of her chair and she exclaim between fits that I had told a little lie a couple of years earlier and that I was no cause for concern..."

The 4zZz crew then told me to come in before 5 to collect a double movie pass and T-shirt they had for me which I did before chilling in Fringe bar to the soulful folky tunes of Aiba.

It was such a nice way to spend a Friday late afternoon. That night Aiba and I decided to go and catch a movie with another friend of mine, Clare, at SouthBank. Before the movie we were temporarily distracted by free Salsa fun on Little Stanley Street where we had a boogie before laughing at the witty quirkiness of Litte Miss Sunshine.

What a great Friday 13th and awesome kick start to the weekend!

k

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristiāna said...

Some people ARE weird. Makes life more interesting, no?

Love ya!

k

12:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home