Thursday, September 28, 2006

Why not enter politics...

The other day I was listening to 4zZz (total quality radio) and to my amusement, the announcer declared that the upcoming Market Day was going to be more fun "than having sex with a politician"...

I thought that was a bit harsh but at the same time, a guilty giggle escaped me...

In the past I have been asked to get into politics and have responded with refusal. My reasons have been that I am interested in doing good things for the world and I don't want party politics to stop me from doing so. Besides, I think that in many ways, you can achieve more by doing what you need to do and letting the politicians catch on, than waiting for them to decide that something needs to happen.

Also, frankly, I have met way to many young people who are in politics and are total tools. Take a young man I met 7 years ago who I ran into the other night at a high profile cultural function... He was weird but relatively harmless when we first met, now, seven years in the making and apparently the head of The Young [insert name here] Party down the coast, he is a name-dropping, need-constant-reassurance-that-he-is-great, sleazy, clingy puppet.
Shame, he is actually kind of handsome...

Another young fellow I know, nice guy, was brought in from Outback Queensland to be one of four people to represent young people in Brisbane. THIS GUY ISN'T EVEN FROM BRISBANE!!! He really is nice enough but when we met, he knew next to nothing about what being a young person in Brisbane was like...
At least he could communicate well...

k
p.s. Even though our current Prime Minister is far from being described as handsome, did you know that former PM Bob Hawke had a casting agent??
Oh, oh, while we are on PM Trivia, did overseas people know that another former PM, Harold Holt went out to surf one day and disappeared, never to be spotted again??

Gah...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home