Thursday, August 31, 2006

Trains vs. Buses

I caught a bus from:
- Poland to Ukraine: The journey was made upright though the night. My phone and camera chargers were stolen.
- Slovakia to Austria: It left two hours later than promised and took an hour and a half longer that I was told.
- Austria to Switzerland: Well actually, I thought the bus was going to Switzerland. I was sold the wrong ticket and ended up in Germany were I had to catch a train to Switzerland... Also, I often woke up thinking that the bus driver had fallen asleep and we were about to drive off the road... I actually yelled out, "Hey!!" in my sleep and opened my eyes in time to see everyone around me jump and look around scared...

Conclusion: Although significantly cheaper, my experience on buses was not too good.

I caught a train from:
- Germany to Poland: It was relatively expensive but I could lie down and it was easy to navigate.
- Ukraine to Hungary: Made friends with three talented musicians in the next cabin who lulled me into lovely sleep all night. Train was stopped for two hours at the border while the trains wheels were changed (for different tracks system).
- Hungary to Romania: Creepy Romanian man tried to come onto me and ended up sleeping next to me... Casper and I renamed ourselves Taquin and Vivian and became husband and wife...
- Germany to Switzerland: I shouldn't have tried to take the cheaper option.... then I might have ended up in Switzerland straight from Austria, rather than Germany. Gah!

Conclusion: Trains may be more expensive but at least you can move around, sleep in a bit more comfort and read without getting sick. They are also easier to understand and therefore ensure you are getting to the right destination!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home