Thursday, August 24, 2006

The bone church...

Yesterday I saw the most amazing and insane thing ever!

Yesterday I went with an American girl I met to a nearby town called Kunta Hora where there was a church. At the end of the 1700s a monk sprinkled dirt from 'the holy land' there making it, in effect, a holy ground. As a result of the holy dirt, 10,000 people wanted to be buried there... We are talking about the size of half a football field worth of ground...

During the plague, all of a sudden, 30,000 people died and wanted to be buried there too. There was not enough room. Instead of being buried, their bones were cleaned and whitewashed and created into an incredible and kind of gruesome display. There were wall hangings, inspriptions, pyramids and chandeliers made of human bones... It was the most surreal thing... I am still in shock and will post pics as soon as I can.

Today I am in Bratislava in Slovakia. It is lost somewhere between communist times and EU reforms... I am about to get something to eat in the old town where there is supposed to be a lot of cultural stuff going down tonight. Should be fun!

Peace and love,

raff

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristiāna said...

Yes, and disturbing.

I would definately recommend it as a must see because it is such a head-nesser...

Glad you evidently enjoyed the post.

k

6:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home