Monday, September 04, 2006

A sorry day

I woke up to a voicemail on my phone this morning from my best friend that went, "...I can't believe what happened to Steve. It is just aweful. I can't believe it...".

Steve Irwin, Australia's wonderful wildlife and conservation ambassador, a true and down-to-earth Aussie, loved all over the world, has died.

He died doing what he loves doing, in the environment amongst our wonderful creatures when he was apparently, and unfortunatley, pierced through the heart by a stingray.

There is no news as to what will happen to his wildlife park or his other attractions but the staff and locals are too upset to make too much of a comment right now.

I really do think that Australia has lost a great man. He was eccentric and full of a boundless amount of energy. My condolences go towards his wife, two children (Bindy and Bob) and those connected closely to the family.

Crocs Rule!

kristiana

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristiāna said...

*smile*

For those not in the States, here is a little background to that comment...

In the States, as with most of the rest of the world, Aussies are perceived as being a particularly brave and daring breed. We are known for housing the world's most dangerous snakes and spiders and for maintaining a remarkably high survival rate, while being relatively unconcerned with the looming 'dangers'...

Due to the above, a kind of admiration and slight perplexion is thrown our way. Particularly with the likes of Steve Irwin doing his bizarre and entertaining nature thing...

In the States, I played up to our supposed Aussie bravery.

Whenever I would suggest doing something and my friends would express their hesitations I would loudly exclaim, "I'm from Australia! I wrestle Crocodiles and I'm not afraid of THIS!".

It became one of my catch phrases.

Actually, one day when some friends and I were partying in Mexico, there was a giant fiberglass crocodile in the street and I charged at it screaming, "I wrestle crocodiles and I'm not afraid of YOU!"...

Good times...

Thanks for the hug Lena!

k

10:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home